April 9, 2020
On March 31, Governor Brian Kemp signed an executive order allowing for residential real estate closings conducted via video conference.
Here is the process:
- Origin Title will send documents via overnight mail or email (if possible) to borrowers/signing parties one or two days prior to closing.
- At the arranged closing time, all parties will connect via video conferencing software to conduct the closing.
- All signing parties must have a web camera, microphone and an internet connection to close their transaction this way.
- The attorney will serve as notary and another member of the Origin Title team will observe as a witness to the signing.
- All signed documents must be returned via overnight mail (a shipping label and envelope will be provided) the next day.
- Lenders and real estate agents are welcome to “attend” the video closing, but their presence is not required.
Borrowers/signing parties are welcome to come to our office, if they don’t have the equipment or the desire to do a remote closing.
In mid-March, we implemented the CDC’s recommendations for creating a safe environment. Here is a brief summary of our actions:
- The waiting room has a supply of hand sanitizer (and the building has a supply in the lobby also).
- We are scheduling more time between closings in order to clean the room and limit the number of people in the office.
- The conference room is wiped down with disinfectant after each signing.
- Any staff member with a connection to a person diagnosed or in quarantine with COVID-19 (Coronavirus) is directed to stay home.
- Any staff member exhibiting any signs of illness are not allowed to come to work.
- Any client exhibiting symptoms or who has had contact with a person exhibiting symptoms will be re-scheduled or required to make other arrangements.
- We are limited physical contact with clients and the public. (No handshakes).
- Following the recommendations from OSHA, staff washes their hands frequently and uses hand sanitizer in the office.
- Clients/borrowers/sellers who are high-risk will be re-scheduled or make other arrangements to have documents signed remotely. (Risks include older age; presence of chronic medical conditions, including immunocompromising conditions; pregnancy).
- Waiving any fees for accommodating buyers’ and sellers’ needs.
We are performing remote closings now. The executive order will expire when Georgia’s state of emergency expires. The current expiration date was extended May 13, 2020. We will continue to update this statement as things change.
Please call or e-mail us with any questions or concerns. We share your concerns about the new virus and are doing everything we can to mitigate the risk.
Real Estate Transactions
Purchase | Refinance | Reverse Mortgage | Commercial Property
Competent and efficient property loan closings since 2003
Choose Origin Title & Escrow
Excitement and adventure are not what you or your client want in the real estate closing process. That’s why Origin Title and Escrow has developed an online Closing Cost Calculator and ensures all parties are aware and informed of closing file status at all times — so everyone knows about issues that may be holding up the process. You save time, aggravation and surprises.
Downtown Decatur location for purchases. For refinances, we'll travel to you.
Real estate closings and title searches are all we do.
Set fees for title search and closings, based on loan type.
We understand the special requirements and documents required and can easily explain.
Ask How Origin Title Can Make Your Next Closing Easy.
Closing Attorney John Bennett and his team understand the concerns and the interests of every party at the closing table.
The Best Closing Team Around
Origin Title handles real estate transactions – purchases, refinances, reverse mortgages – quickly and professionally. There will be no surprises, nothing misunderstood. Title searches are thorough and well-reasoned, to avoid unpleasant surprises later on.
Are You Purchasing Your First Home?
Get the basics on what a closing attorney does and why title insurance is important.